Fonds ARO - York Assembly Rooms Records

Identity area

Reference code



York Assembly Rooms Records


  • 1730 - 1952 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

7 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

(1732 - 1925)

Administrative history

Building work began on the Assembly Rooms in 1730 and was completed by 1735. However, they were first used in the summer of 1732 for Ebor Race week. The Assembly Rooms have since undergone alterations. For example, a new entrance front was designed by J. P. Pritchett in 1828. The Assembly Rooms were purchased by York Corporation in 1925.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

This collection contains minute books, accounts and various scrapbooks of the York Assembly Rooms.


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access


Material is available subject to the usual terms and conditions of access to Archives and Local History collections.

Conditions governing reproduction

Images are supplied for private research only at the Archivist's discretion. Please note that material may be unsuitable for copying on conservation grounds. Researchers who wish to publish material must seek copyright permission from the copyright owner.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

    Language and script notes

    Finding aids

    Allied materials area

    Existence and location of originals

    Existence and location of copies

    Related units of description

    Related descriptions

    Notes area

    Alternative identifier(s)



    Access points

    Subject access points

    Place access points

    Name access points

    Genre access points

    Description control area

    Accession area