Munby; family

Identity area

Type of entity


Authorized form of name

Munby; family

Parallel form(s) of name

    Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

    • Munby; family

    Other form(s) of name

      Identifiers for corporate bodies

      Description area

      Dates of existence

      c1800 - present


      Joseph Munby, solicitor, was the son of Joseph Munby and Jane Pearson. He was born in 1804.. In 1827, he married Caroline Eleanor Forth . They had seven children:

      • Arthur Munby b. c1829
      • John Forth. Munby b. c1832
      • George Frederick Woodhouse Munby b. c 1834
      • Frederick J. Munby b. c1838
      • Joseph Munby b. c1840
      • Caroline Munby b. c1844
      • Edward C. Munby b c1846

      Frederick Munby and his wife, Elizabeth, had two children:
      -Beatrice b. c1867
      -John Cecil bc1876


      Legal status

      Functions, occupations and activities

      The Munby family are most well known as one of the oldest names in the field of law in York - they ran the long-established firm of Munby and Scott in York. In 1838, the firm moved to 18 Blake Street, where it remained until 2007 when the building was sold and the firm merged with Langleys.
      Joseph Munby (b. 1804) followed in his father's footsteps as a solicitor as did his own sons Frederick James and John Forth Munby.
      Arthur Munby was a minor Victorian poet, civil servant, and diarist. He had a somewhat unusual relationship with Hannah Culwell, a maid-of-all-work, who kept her own diaries from 1854 - 1873. The couple kept their relationship largely clandestine.
      George Frederick Woodhouse Munby became a rector in Bedfordshire, and his brother, Joseph Edwin Munby also entered Holy Orders. Edward Munby worked as a farmer (1871) and later a land agent (1881).

      The family also had considerable social impact - they had a wide circle of friends and acquaintances and carried out a considerable amount of philanthropic work - Frederick Munby supported the missionary activities of Rev. Frederick Lawrence, was a leading member of the Gentlemen's Committee, and handled legal matters for the York Penitentiary Society. He was also a leading member in the management of the York Refuge for Fallen Women, and the firm of Munby and Scott handled many of the records of the Refuge.
      The family was also involved with the Wilberforce Home for the Blind, later the Wilberforce Trust. They also travelled widely, locations included Scarborough, London, Bath and Paris. From 1848, the Munby family lived at Clifton Holme (at the end of Ousecliffe Gardens, now St Hilda's Garth) which was built for Joseph Munby. The firm of Munby Solicitors was located at 9 St Helen's Square from c1830 - 1838. In 1838, it relocated to No 18 Blake Street. This property had originally been built in 1789 for Elizabeth Woodhouse. The Woodhouse family were connected to the Munby family by marriage.

      Mandates/sources of authority

      Internal structures/genealogy

      General context

      Joseph Munby, solicitor, was the son of Joseph Munby and Jane Pearson. He was born in 1804.. In 1827, he married Caroline Eleanor Forth . They had seven children:\n\n- Arthur Munby b. c1829\n- John Forth. Munby b. c1832\n- George Frederick Woodhouse Munby b. c 1834\n- Frederick J. Munby b. c1838\n- Joseph Munby b. c1840\n- Caroline Munby b. c1844\n- Edward C. Munby b c1846\n\nFrederick Munby and his wife, Elizabeth, had two children:\n-Beatrice b. c1867\n-John Cecil bc1876

      Relationships area

      Access points area

      Subject access points

      Place access points


      Control area

      Authority record identifier


      Institution identifier


      Rules and/or conventions used

      International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families - ISAAR(CPF) - Ottawa


      Level of detail

      Dates of creation, revision and deletion




          Maintenance notes