Affichage de 759 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Simpson & Son, Tailors
Collectivité · 1880s-????

Set up by father and son, Mr George Simpson and Mr James E Simpson. The business occupied a large space on the corner of Parliament Street and Pavement, York. In 1897 the firm produced a special promotional booklet for the Jubilee of Queen Victoria to promote the business. It is unknown when this business ceased to operate.

Collectivité · 1862-1925

One of the standing committees of the York Poor Law Union. Responsible for the assessment of the rateable value of properties for the purposes of collecting the poor rate. The poor rate was a tax levied on property owners and was the principle means of financing the poor law and provision of relief.
Reported to the Board of Guardians of the York Poor Law Union.

Women's Institute, Wheldrake
Collectivité · March 1925 – present

Wheldrake Women's Institute. was created in March 1925 by a group of ladies living in Wheldrake.
The National Women's Institute was formed in 1915 to revitalise rural communities and to encourage women to become more involved in producing food during the First World War and is now the largest voluntary women’s organisation in the UK.

R.B. Mills Shipping and Tourist Agency
Collectivité · c. 1896-c. 1975-1985

First listed in Kelly's Directory of York in 1896-1897 as R.B. Mills, auctioneer and emigration agent, 16 Stonegate. By 1900, the business is listed as Richard Bell Mills, valuer and ocean passenger agent, Minster Gates.

R.B. Mills occupied 7 Minster Gates as a travel agency, variously described as an ocean passenger agent, a shipping agent, and a tourist agent, until at least 1975, but appears to have stopped trading by 1985.

Thomas Dick (York) Ltd
Collectivité · 1891-c. 1968

The company was founded in 1891 by Thomas Dick and dealt as a general wholesalers and wholesale stationers. In 1906 they were located at 22 Railway Street, and by 1968 they are listed at 19-25 Railway Street.

The business sold 'virtually everything' except food and clothing, and had a strong stationary element in the goods they supplied. The sales ledger indicates that they sold goods to many of the corner shops around York.

The company is listed as a Wholesale Stationer in trade directories, and is occasionally listed as Dick Bros. Ltd and Minnie Dick Ltd. The company is listed in the trade directory for 1968, but not for 1969. From 1968, the York Co-operative Society Ltd. is listed at 21 Railway Street (later George Hudson Street).

Ernest Johnson
Personne

Ernest Johnson was the manager of St George's cinema, Castlegate, York during the 1930s and 1940s. In 1937, he was the manager of the Picture House cinema, York. He served in Egypt during WW2 as a RAF flight lieutenant, returning to York in 1946 as manager of St George's cinema, Castlegate, York. He was later assistant manager of Associated Tower cinema, Leeds. He died in York in 1999 aged 88 yrs.

Kleiser; family
Famille · 1819-1977

Joseph Benedikt Kleiser was born in Freiburg in Baden, Germany, in 1823. He was baptised there on 19 March 1823. His parents were Jacob Kleiser and Fransizka Geschwander. He had an older brother, Andreas (later Andrew), born in 1819.
On 12 March 1840, Joseph arrived in London via Calais and Belfast. Andrew (under the name Andreas) had arrived two years previously, on 2 Nov 1839.

By the time of the 1841 census, both brothers were working as clockmakers. Joseph lived and worked in Chelmsford, Essex, while Andrew had settled in York, where he lived on Stonegate along with his business partner, Philip Schwerer.

In 1854, Joseph married Mary Potter in York. They had three sons:
Cuthbert Joseph Kleiser (born 1855)
John Henry Kleiser (born 1857)
Louis Augustine Kleiser (born 1860).

Andrew Kleiser had also married into the Potter family. He married Hannah Potter in September 1847 at the Catholic chapel on Little Blake Street. They had one daughter, Jane Frances. She was born in 1849 but died in 1853, aged about four.

Andrew was naturalised in September 1852, and Joseph was naturalised in April 1854.
Andrew died in January 1885, and Joseph later that year in December. As Andrew had no surviving children, the Kleiser business passed to Joseph's three sons, Cuthbert, John, and Louis..

Cuthbert Joseph Kleiser married Hannah Lilian Cundall, the daughter of Luke and Hannah Cundall, in 1888. They had one son, Louis Cyril Kleiser, born 1893. Cuthbert died in 1929.

John Henry Kleiser never married, and died in 1920, a patient at the York Asylum.

Louis Augustine Kleiser also never married, and died in 1943.

Cuthbert's son, Louis Cyril Kleiser, was also known as 'Cyril'. He was born in 1893 and died in 1977.

explor
Lle
Sans titre

York Musical Society

Campaign for Real Ale, York
Collectivité · 1971-Present

CAMRA was set up by four men from the North West of England. The first CAMRA office was set up in St Albans at 94 Victoria Street but soon after outgrew this premises and moved to 34 Alma Road. In 1995 CAMRA moved to new purpose-built premises on Hatfield Road. Membership continued to grow and today stands at over 140,000. It has 200 branches across the UK.

Citizens Advice, York
Collectivité · 1939-Present

In 1938, the prospect of a second world war encouraged the government to establish a group to look at how the needs of the civilian population could be met during war time. This group suggested that Citizens Advice Bureaux should be established throughout the country. The first 200 bureaux opened in 1939 and were run by volunteers. They dealt with issues such as loss of ration books, homelessness, evacuation, missing relatives, prisoners of war and debt. Numbers of bureaux were halved in the 1950s but the service continued due to help from charitable trusts. From the 1990s, changes in the benefits system generated a large proportion of enquiries. Issues around debt, housing and employment are key issues bureaux currently deal with.

Collectivité · 1872-2007

The National Union of Agricultural Workers was the first successful national body for farm workers, presided over by Joseph Arch. It began as the National Agricultural Labourers' Union in 1872 before changing to the National Union of Agricultural Workers in July 1906. In 1910 they changed their name to the "National Agricultural Labourers and Rural Workers Union" and once again in 1920 to the National Union of Agricultural Worker (NUAW). This name then remained until they were amalgamated with the Transport & General Workers Union (TGWU) in 1982. NUAW membership was largely made up of farm agricultural labourers but also catered for non-farm workers such as those in forestry, market gardening, gardeners, etc. The union's stronghold was in Norfolk, Lincolnshire and Dorset with over 90% of agricultural labourers being in membership. In 1910 major strikes and disputes broke out in the Norfolk villages of Trunch, Knapton and St Faith's. At St Faith's, the 105 union men were on strike from May 1910 until February 1911 for 1 shilling a week extra. The union had its own journal called 'The Landworker'. The TGWU then became part of UNITE in 2007 after its merger with Amicus.
York and District Trade Council

Normandy Veterans Association, York
Collectivité · -Present

The Normandy Veterans Association was formed initially in Grimsby in 1981. Following this many local branches were developed with the York Branch coming into being in 1994. The first member was Herbert Atkin who lived in Lowther Street, York. By 1996 there were 63 members after which numbers started to decline with the last and 91st member joining the Branch in 2009. The National Association closed down in November 2014 following the 70th anniversary of D Day celebrations after which many local branches folded but the York Branch wish to continue for as long as possible. The group are now known as the York Normandy Veterans and there remain nine Veterans who are supported by Honorary Members and families.
See Also - Smith; Ken (1925-2020); Mr
See Also - Cooke; Ken (1926-Present); Mr
See Also - Haydock; Dennis (1923-2017); Mr

Cattley Ernest & Co
Collectivité · ?-?

Cattley Ernest & Co were timber merchants in Skeldergate, York, throughout at least the first half of the 20th century.

Barron & Barron
Collectivité · 1893-present

Barron & Barron was founded in 1893. In 2011 it merged with Mitchells accountants of Leeds and Harrogate, and in 2013 merged with Barber Harrison & Platt, an independent firm of chartered accountants and business advisors based in Sheffield. At that time the practice name changed to BHP Barron & Barron.

York Society of Magicians
Collectivité · 1945 - Present

The York Society of Magicians was founded in 1945 by the then Lord Mayor of York, Harold Chapman de Bourg. De Bourg was a magician and wanted to establish a magic society in York to meet likeminded people. De Bourg invited other amateur magicians to Mansion House, where the inaugural meeting of the Society was held on 8th March 1945. At that first meeting the York Society of Magicians was established.

The society’s first headquarters were in the Rechabite building and then afterwards Middleton House in Monkgate.

The society started its ‘Night of Magic’ shows at the Joseph Rowntree Theatre in 1951, which were held annually until 1987. The Society’s other activities include annual dinners, and monthly meetings where members discuss magic and share magic tricks.

The society includes amateur magicians, hobbyists and professionals. In some periods the society has had an active junior department as well as an adult society.

Morley; Thomas
Personne

Thomas Morley operated a linen draper in York between at least 1804 and 1833. In 1833, he is listed as selling his property at Minster Gates where he had been conducting his business. Entries in his account book continue to 1839, however it is unclear whether these represent a continuation of the linen draper business, or the collection of debts and investments of capital only.

Loadman family of York
Famille · 19th century - 20th century

At least two generations of the Loadman family ran a shop initially at 5 College Street, then at 37 Stonegate and at Minster Gates, York, as a dealer in antiques, old china, furniture, and curios.

The shop was started by Thomas Loadman between 1871 and 1881, and operated until at least the 1950s. Thomas Loadman was born in Helmsley in 1819 as the son of a brewer. He married Jane Sollitt in 1845 in York. Thomas Loadman worked as a gas inspector for most of his career and appears to have opened the shop as a dealer in old china alongside this role later in life with the support of his wife and children. Several of his children helped to run the shop and continued to run it after his death. This includes: Margaret Elizabeth Loadman, born 1847, who moved the shop to Stonegate after Thomas Loadman's death; Eugene Loadman, born c 1865; and Herbert Myers Loadman, born c 1873.

Creator (ISAD 3.2.1)

Example fonds Creator history (ISAD 3.2.2). Note that this will be added to the related authority record for Creator (ISAD 3.2.1).

James (Jim) Walter Hammond
1932-2021

James (Jim) Walter Hammond was a former York School Master, and a well known member of the Rowntree Players Dramatic Society. He performed with the players for 40 years from 1968 to 2007.