Fonds CON - York Central Conservative Club

Identity area

Reference code



York Central Conservative Club


  • 1881-1994 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

15 boxes

Context area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The York Central Conservative Club was founded in 1881 in order to consolidate the party after the defeat of The Right Hon James Lowther at the General Election in 1880 who had represented the city in Parliament since 1865. For many years the club met at the Ebor Rooms, Coney Street. However, this became too cramped due to social requirements of numbers and in 1909, moved to the De Grey Rooms, St Leonard's Street where they added an extension onto the rear of the building in 1910. The club had over 500 members in 1933 and the De Grey Rooms were more appropriate due to the size. The club moved again from De Grey Rooms to Museum Street in March 1986 until their closure in 1991. The club finally closed in 1991 after a period of financial difficulty and the archives were subsequently transferred in 1994. There were also four ward Conservative clubs in the city. These clubs, along with the Central Conservative Club formed a valuable asset in party politics. In 1969, the club abolished the 'male only' member policy and allowed females to become members 80 years after the club's foundation. The club also actively took part in international billiard tournaments, including the Faber Shield Tournament (which it won in 1904), the Scruton Cup (which it won in 1975), and the Hylton Foster Billiards Tournament.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The records relate to the club's governance including minute books (1884-1990), agendas, property deeds and leases, club history and club administration.

There are also records relating to membership, finance, staff and premises.



As the club was dissolved in 1991, no accruals are expected. Two stray minute books were deposited in 2011.

System of arrangement

The records are arranged into five series:
1 Governance
2 Membership
3 Finance
4 Staff
5 Premises

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access


When the material was originally deposited, permission was required from the Conservative Club.

Conditions governing reproduction

Images are supplied for private research only at the Archivist's discretion. Please note that material may be unsuitable for copying on conservation grounds. Researchers who wish to publish material must seek copyright permission from the copyright owner.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

    Language and script notes

    Finding aids

    Allied materials area

    Existence and location of originals

    Exhibition Square

    Existence and location of copies

    Related units of description

    Related descriptions

    Publication note

    Generally, copyright rests with the owner.
    The main secondary source are local newspapers. There is a typescript of the history of the club written in 1954 marking the club's 70th anniversary held at CON/1/3/1

    Notes area

    Alternative identifier(s)

    Access points

    Subject access points

    Place access points

    Name access points

    Genre access points

    Description control area

    Accession area