Affichage de 759 résultats

Notice d'autorité
North Eastern Railway Association
GB0192-748 · Collectivité · ?-present

The North Eastern Railway Association was formed for those interested in the history of the North Eastern Railway. It is a forum for members to share experiences, and to attend events about t the railway.

Church of England, Diocese of York
GB0192-749 · Collectivité · ?-present

The Diocese of York is the adminstrative body responsible for supporting and growing the Church of England membership in its area. By 2020 its jurisdiction included 589 churches and 125 schools in 443 parishes. The Diocese is committed to the praise of God through Jesus Christ and service to others, and is led and guided in their faith and work by the Archbishop of York.

City of York Corporation (Unreformed)
GB0192-75 · Collectivité · 1212-1835

The ancient corporation of York, with rights and privileges gradually accrued over time by royal degree and legislation. It was dramatically reformed in 1835 following the Municipal Corporations Act.
Previously known as "the Mayor and Commonality of the City of York", it developed into the historical corporation. The corporation was reformed in 1835, became a district council within North Yorkshire County Council in 1974 and a unitary authority once more as the City of York Council in 1996.

Gild of Freemen of the City of York
GB0192-750 · Collectivité · 1953-present

The Gild of Freemen of the City of York was founded on 9th September 1953 on a unanimous vote of nearly two hundred freemen representing all four wards in the city. It was formed for the benefit of all freemen who no longer had a craft guild and to maintain the heritage of the gift of freedom.

The Gild upholds the vows of Freedom, promotes the good reputation of the City, acts as guardian in protecting and developing the traditional rights of Freemen, preserves the custom of caring for the welfare of Gild Freemen, operates a benevolent fund, subscribes to charitable causes and provides a range of social activities.

The Gild also takes part in the York cycle of Mystery Plays alongside other guilds in the city.

Hall; William Patrick (1906-1992)
GB0192-751 · Personne · 1906-1992

William Patrick Hall, also known as Patrick Hall, was born in York on 16 December 1906. While still a teenager, he worked on a conservation project restoring the stained glass windows of York Minster, and also had a spell working in the family tanning business at Earswick while studying art on a part-time basis. He studied part-time at both the York and Northampton Art Schools and showed an early aptitude for etching and drypoint work.

During World War Two, the War Artists' Advisory Committee commissioned Hall to produce a number of watercolours depicting the training of paratroopers at the Parachute Training School at RAF Ringway in Cheshire. After the war Hall moved to London and set up a studio and worked full-time as an artist. He had a number of solo exhibitions, mainly focusing on landscapes and town scenes, at the Waddington Gallery, Gilbert Parr Gallery and at the Marjore Parr Gallery. He also showed works at the Royal Academy, the New English Art Club and the Paris Salon. Works by Hall are held in the collection of the Guildhall in London, the Imperial War Museum and the National Gallery of Australia. For the last twenty years of his life, Hall lived in Sellindge and died at Ashford in Kent on 10 June 1992.

Your Local Link
GB0192-752 · Collectivité · ?-present

Your Local Link is a monthly free magazine delivered to all households in York and the surrounding villages, with an events guide and articles about what is happening in the city.

Yorkshire Regiment
GB0192-753 · Collectivité · 2006-present

The Yorkshire Regiment was created in 2006 following the amalgamation of the Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire, the Green Howards, and the Duke of Wellington's Regiment. t is currently the only line infantry or rifles unit to represent a single geographical county in the Britsh Army infantry structure, serving as the county regiment of Yorkshire.

The regiment's recruitment area today covers almost all the historic county (the three ridings of the county: East Riding of Yorkshire, North Riding of Yorkshire and West Riding of Yorkshire) except for the eastern half of South Yorkshire and the southeast of West Yorkshire, which is a recruitment area for the Rifles, and the part of the West Riding that is now in Greater Manchester.
Successor to the Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire; Green Howards; Duke of Wellington's Regiment.

GB0192-754 · Collectivité · 11th century-present

There was a church at Nether Poppleton from at least the eleventh century. It was appropriated to St Mary's Abbey, York, at its foundation in 1088 and the Abbey held the advowson until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which time it passed to the Crown and then to the Archbishop of York. It is not known when a vicarage was ordained there but it was described as such by the seventeenth century. The living was augmented in 1829.

The present parish church dates to the twelfth century. It is dedicated to the seventh century Saxon saint Everilda, who is believed to have led a monastic community at either Everingham or Nether Poppleton. The church was restored in the nineteenth century and in 1939 a new altar was installed, carved by Robert 'the Mouseman' Thompson of Kilburn. In 2015 an extension was added to house new kitchen and storage facilities.

In 1866 Upper Poppleton chapelry separated from Copmanthorpe parish to join that of Nether Poppleton. Today Nether Poppleton is part of the united parish and benefice of Nether with Upper Poppleton.

GB0192-755 · Collectivité · 13th century-present

Upper Poppleton was originally a chapelry within the medieval parish of York, St Mary Bishophill Junior and thus subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York until the nineteenth century. In 1844 the chapelry became part of a new parish of Copmanthorpe with Upper Poppleton, and then in 1866 it separated from Copmanthorpe to join the existing parish and benefice of Nether Poppleton, which became Nether Poppleton with Upper Poppleton.

The present church, which is dedicated to All Saints, was built in 1890 by architect Charles Hodgson Fowler, replacing the medieval chapel of All Hallows. The church was altered in 1959-1972 by George Pace.

Crombie Wilkinson solicitors,
GB0192-756 · Collectivité · ?-present

Crombie Wilkinson solicitors is a law firm in North Yorkshire, with branches in York, Malton, Selby and Pickering. The firm employs over a 110 staff across the four branches. The firm is one of the NFU Legal Panel Firm members for the North East region providing specialist agricultural law services to the farming and rural community. The firm has been listed in The Legal 500 2020 Edition - United Kingdom, Private Client, Agricultural & Estates. The firm is also one of only a few solicitors in the country, who act for clients nationally, to provide a specialist operation providing legal services for dentists. Specialist legal services also extend to doctors, schools, care homes food and drink sector and property developers. Crombie Wilkinson is also one of the few law firms in North Yorkshire to have a specialist team offering family mediation services.

Yorkshire Geological Society
GB0192-757 · Collectivité · 1837-present

Founded in 1837, the Yorkshire Geological Society was the first geological society in the North of England. A membership-led organisation with a governing council and President, its main objective is to promote and record the results of research in geosciences in Yorkshire.

Hawksby; Fred (?-?)
GB0192-758 · Personne · ?-?

Fred Hawksby was a professional boxer from York who was active between 1929 and 1935. He was also active in the management of local charitable tournaments in York, alongside his brother John.

Fred boxed at featherweight; lightweight and took part in 27 professional contests.
John Hawksby (brother).

Hawksby; John (1910-?)
GB0192-759 · Personne · 1910-?

John Hawksby was the brother of professional boxer Fred Hawksby. It also thought that he was a boxer, at least at amateur level. With his brother, he was also active in the management of local charitable tournaments in York.
Fred Hawksby (brother).

Churches Together in York
GB0192-760 · Collectivité · ?-present

Churches Together in York was founded to encourage and provide the means for Churches to worship, pray and reflect together on the nature and purpose of the church, each church sharing with others its traditions and values with the diversity of tradition and practice being respected by all members, thus enabling churches to live and share the Gospel and to put the teachings of Christ into action by responding to the needs of society.

GB0192-761 · Collectivité · c.1909-?

The Health and Housing Reform Association was set up in York to ensure 'the spread of knowledge regarding health and sanitation, and thus to improve the health condition in the houses of the public'. Amongst its membership was Oscar Rowntree, and it was supported by York's Medical Officer of Health. Members were due to pay an annual subscription, and a committee was appointed annually consisting of a Secretary, Treasurer and Chairman. Five members were to retire each year, but could stand for re-election.

St Stephen's Orphanage
GB0192-762 · Collectivité · c.1870-1969

Saint Stephen's Orphanage was founded by Lady Harriet, wife of Augustus Duncombe, Dean of York Minster, her two daughters, Mrs Harcourt and Mrs Egerton, and Reverend James Douglas, curate at Kirby Misperton. It was named after Saint Stephen who was one of the seven deacons charged by the apostles to minister to widows, orphans and the poor.

The orphanage was originally housed in Precentor's Court and provided shelter for up to 13 female orphans under the supervision of Miss Mathew and Mrs Blencowe. The accommodation proved to be too small so two houses were purchased in Trinity Lane, off Micklegate, in 1872.

By 1874 Major William Cayley Worsley of Hovingham, his wife and some of his friends, formed a committee of management which came to the rescue of the society, which was facing funding pressures. The committee provided a loan of £125 until a legacy of a further £660 came to fruition.

A new superintendent, Miss Mary Arlidge, was appointed in 1876. By the following year the orphanage was home to 26 children, and 25 Trinity Lane was purchased to provide a laundry, bathroom, larger dormitories and a playground. In 1878 27 Trinity Lane was also purchased, enabling an additional dining room, dormitory and an isolation room to be added.

By 1879, 31 girls were living in Trinity Lane and, although there was enough room for them, there were insufficient funds available. The number of girls needing a home continued to expand so, in 1881, 21 and 23 Trinity Lane were purchased. By 1885 there were 49 girls in residence of whom 23 paid no fees while the others were supported by an annual fee of £12 each.

During the 1880s, the orphanage expanded its facilities to provide free dinners for poor children all over the city. Dinners were provided in the orphanage dining room in sittings, and by 1887 10,255 dinners were being provided annually.

Dr William A. Evelyn became involved in the orphanage when he married and moved to 24 (now 61) Micklegate in 1885. In 1910 he was asked to review the fire appliances, following which he worked for the home for the next 22 years, becoming its medical officer in 1920 and vice-chairman of the management committee in 1926. In order to raise funds, he prepared a series of five lectures with lantern slides given in St Mary's Hall, Marygate, between 1 and 29 November 1911, entitled 'Walks through Old York' which would be of interest to those who were keen on preserving York's buildings. Although the hall was not full, £104 was collected for the orphanage. These lectures continued and in 1917 took £115. In 1919 the lectures were held in the larger Tempest Anderson Hall where admission was five shillings and £166 was raised. In 1921 it was £104 and in 1923 was £170.

At a management meeting at the end of 1919 it was reported that the state of the buildings in Trinity Lane had deteriorated and were no longer suited to the care of young children. It was proposed that a house which was for sale at 89 The Mount, on the corner of Scarcroft Road, be investigated as a possible home. Within two weeks the house had been purchased for £4,500. The cost of converting the house was £429 and the move to the new home began. Whilst this was being done the children were sent away to a holiday home at Filey. As the committee now carried a debt of £5,000, it sought ways to increase its revenue. It calculated that the annual cost of keeping a child was approaching £40 a year and decided to ask ladies who supported individual children financially to increase their contribution to £35.

By early 1922 the number of girls had fallen to 28 but Ministry of Health recognition was achieved in the same year, a classification which authorised the home to receive children from Boards of Guardians. Unfortunately this did not lead to an increase in the number of residents which remained fairly constant for the next two years, so it was agreed to offer places to York City Council when corporation children's homes were full. Four years later requests for places were received from Boards of Guardians at Leeds and South Shields, a development which again did not lead to any significant increase in numbers. Occasionally children were now being sent out from the home for adoption, a measure which further depleted numbers.

When the Second World War broke out in September 1939 the children were evacuated to the home of Mrs Stapleton at Myton-on-Swale. There the hostess was paid five shillings per week for each child and member of staff. The potting shed at the home was converted into an air-raid shelter and bunks were fitted with anti-splinter netting applied to the windows. Soon after this was completed the girls returned to York and, when enemy bombs fell on the nearby Bar Convent, the girls sang hymns in the area shelter.

In the post-war years fundraising was still an issue; the age for leaving was raised to 16; Miss Govan, a new matron, was appointed and she served for 22 years; the Sunday services moved from St Clement's in Scarcroft Road to Holy Trinity in Micklegate; the National Spastic Society agreed to use a vacant wing of the home; a hostel at Rawcliffe Holt was set up for older girls to live under supervision; in the 1950's children were inoculated against poliomyelitis; in 1957 there were 15 girls and 10 boys.

In the 1960s there was a steady decline in numbers and liaison meetings with Blue and Grey Coat Schools led to their amalgamation with St Stephens on 14 August 1969 and the formation of York Children's Trust. Thus ended the life of the home after almost 100 years, providing a caring home life for orphans in the early days of the venture, and for children with difficult home circumstances latterly.
Catherine Cappe Memorial Trust

York Adoption Society
GB0192-763 · Collectivité · 1963-1996

York Adoption Society was registered with the Charities Commission on 23 September 1963, as a charity arranging the legal adoption of children in the York area. It continued until 16 January 1996, by which point it had ceased to exist.

Catherine Cappe Memorial Trust
GB0192-764 · Collectivité · 1954-?

The pressing need for a girls hostel in York became obvious to the Committee of St Stephen's Children's Home in 1953. It had become almost impossible to find suitable accommodation in York for the girls from St Stephen's who had reached school leaving age. Home Office regulations would not allow girls who had started work to remain in children's homes indefinitely. A survey showed the shortage of accommodation across the city to be very acute, and as such York Corporation was approached and asked whether they might be able to provide suitable accommodation under the Children's and Young Persons' Act, 1948, provided to residents at a cost which they could afford. The answer received was that the need in York was thought to be too small to warrant the expenditure by the Corporation. At the same time, it was suggested that if a voluntary committee could be formed to start the process of creating accommodation for young women, the Corporation would support it. Accordingly, a provisional committee was formed on 8 February 1954, and the Joseph Rowntree Village Trust was approached for financial aid. The Trustees provided £300 per year for three years to cover staff salaries, and a further £150 for one year to cover rent.

Soon afterwards, the Trustees were offered the opportunity to acquire Rawcliffe Holt, and the committee accepted the tenancy for three years in the first instance. Official sanction for a girls' hostel had already been acquired by the Home Office.

The provisional committee of the hostel was advised to form a Trust for administrative purposes. As a result, the Catherine Cappe Memorial Trust was set up in York following a public meeting at York Mansion House on 16 July 1954. The Trust was named in honour of Catherine Cappe, a writer in York in the 18th and 19th centuries who concerned herself with improving lives of young women and girls.

At the meeting in 1954 the Catherine Cappe Memorial Trust was formed, and a provisional committee appointed. The accommodation was made available from 1 January 1955, and the hostel welcomed its first residents on 29 January 1955.

It is unknown when the Trust officially ceased trading, however the Trust was still producing annual reports in 1973.
St Stephen's Orphanage

York Centre for Voluntary Service
GB0192-765 · Collectivité · 1951-present

York Centre for Voluntary Service (known as York CVS) was incorporated on 30 March 1951 as York Council for Voluntary Service. It was then known as York Community Council Ltd (1983-1985) and York Council for Voluntary Services (2010-2013) before being renamed to its present configuration in 2013. It is a social action organisation; supporting and championing York's voluntary, community and social enterprise (VCSE) sector to make positive change, challenge issues and grow new ideas for the future in order to strengthen communities.

Yorkshire Association for the Disabled
GB0192-766 · Collectivité · ?-?

Yorkshire Association for the Disabled was operating by 1964. It appears to have championed disabled people in the Yorkshire area, and published a regular newsletter to members. It is unknown when the association ceased operating, but it was still in operation by 1974.

Rowntree Mackintosh PLC
GB0192-767 · Collectivité · 1969-1988

In 1969 Rowntree & Co merged with John Mackintosh & Sons to become Rowntree Mackintosh PLC.

The divisional structure of Rowntree Mackintosh was very similar to that operating within Rowntree & Co prior to the merger. Central control was from Group Headquarters in York and the boards of the various operating divisions within Rowntree Mackintosh were responsible for strategic control of specific geographic or product markets. Supply, Transport and Distribution were also divisional functions.

UK Confectionery Division: factories in Castleford, Edinburgh, Egremont, Fawdon, Halifax, Leicester, Mallow, Norwich and York.
UK Grocery Division: factories in Ashton-Under-Lyne, Hadfield and Glasgow.
UK Associated Companies (ref. RAC): manufacturing of non-branded confectionery and engineering companies.
European Division: factories in France and West Germany; sales forces in Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Germany, Italy and West Germany.
Overseas Division: markets in which the group has production facilities; factories and sales forces in Australia, Canada, Eire and South Africa; licensing agreement in New Zealand.
Export Division: All markets where the group does not have local production facilities. Selling operations in more than 120 counties. Licensing agreements in eight countries.

Rail Users Consultative Committee
GB0192-769 · Collectivité · 1993-2005

The 1947 Transport Act which set up the Central Transport Consultative Committee (CTCC) and a network of regional Transport Users' Consultative Committees as passenger representative bodies. The original CTCC and the TUCCs were abolished by the Transport Act 1962 and replaced with new bodies of the same name, although with extended powers. Those powers were extended again in 1968.

The Railways Act 1993 abolished the 1962 structure and replaced it with the Rail Users' Consultative Committee (RUCC) network comprising the Central Rail Users' Consultative Committee (CRUCC), as the national coordinating body, and eight regional committees. The new bodies were sponsored by the Office of the Rail Regulator, since renamed the Office of Rail and Road, and spoke up for passengers in the new era of privatised train companies. The CRUCC and RUCCs were renamed the Rail Passengers' Council and Rail Passengers' Committees by the Transport Act 2000, with sponsorship transferring to the newly-created Strategic Rail Authority (SRA). The new Rail Passengers Council and Committees (RPC) network was launched at the Rail Summit in May 2000.

In January 2004 the Secretary of State for Transport announced a review of the rail industry which led to a White Paper entitled 'The Future of Rail'. Amongst other things, the White Paper called for a more independent and focused rail passenger organisation that offered better value for money and achieved higher levels of passenger awareness. The resulting Railways Act 2005 abolished the Rail Passengers' Council and regional Rail Passengers' Committees, replacing them with a new Rail Passengers' Council as a single Great Britain-wide organisation.

City of York Corporation (Reformed)
GB0192-77 · Collectivité · 1835-1974

The ancient corporation was dramatically altered by the Municipal Corporation Act. It lost many legal rights and privileges, the electorate was widened, various officials were changed or renamed and a single chamber was instituted.
Previously known as "the Mayor and Commonality of the City of York", it developed into the historical Corporation (see City of York Corporation (Unreformed). The corporation was reformed in 1835, became a district council with North Yorkshire County Council in 1974 and a unitary authority once more as the City of York Council in 1996. Municipal charities passed to York Charity Trustees in 1837.

British Buttons
GB0192-770 · Collectivité · 1929-2003

Gansolite Ltd established a factory on former Rowntree land in Haxby Road, York, in 1929, when Dutchman Jacob Gans moved his factory from Holland to the city. The factory produced buttons for a number of commercial clothing manufacturers. In 1983 the firm, then trading as British Buttons, was acquired by Ashley Goff and his son Stephen as part of a management buyout.

By 1990 British Buttons employed 70 people and manufactured an average of five million buttons a week. At that point it was the biggest selling button maker in Britain. That same year, production moved to Sutton on the Forest so that the Haxby Road premises in York could be cleared for redevelopment.

During the 1990s British button maufacturing began to go into decline. With the firm losing Marks & Spencer as a client in 1998 following a review of their materials purchasing, 30 to 40 per cent of business was lost in a year. This resulted in the firm filing for bankruptcy, before being rescued by Peter Bownes in 2000. With a continued decline in customers due to cheaper options being produced abroad, by 2003 the firm employed 18 staff and was manufacturing between 750,000 and 1.5 million buttons a week.

On 27 January 2003 staff were told that due to the the decline in orders the company had been placed in voluntary liquidation.

Yorkshire Association
GB0192-771 · Collectivité · 1779-c.1786

The Yorkshire Association was formed in December 1779 to lobby for economic reform at a time of high taxation during the American War of Independence. Though conservatives denounced associations as potentially seditious, a number of other counties formed committees and joined with Yorkshire in petitioning Parliament. Their greatest success came in April 1780 when Dunning's motion, deploring the influence of the crown, was carried against Lord North, and in 1782 the short-lived Rockingham administration undertook some useful reforms. But Christopher Wyvill, founder of the association, had difficulty in holding his supporters in line. They soon moved on to advocate parliamentary reform and a split developed between the radicals of the Westminster Committee, pushing for manhood suffrage, and moderate reformers, content to augment the representation of the counties. The end of the war took much wind out of the association's sails, though Pitt moved for parliamentary reform in 1783 and again in 1785. The association was a remarkable attempt to mobilize public opinion and bring it to bear on Parliament, looking back to the Wilkites and forward to the chartists.

Kay; Robert (?-?)
GB0192-772 · Personne · ?-?

Robert Kay was a successful bootmaker with a number of shops in York. He was the son of an intemperate shoemaker. A Wesleyan temperance reformer, he ran Priory Street Wesleyan Young Men's class in around 1894. His notebook, also called Grandfather Robert Kay's diary and covering the period 1875-1900, was created to record 'what I remember in connection with, and a record of, any noteworthy incident occurring at any of the public houses between Fossgate and Walmgate Bar.' The notebook, whose original is still in the possession of the Kay family, is addressed to 'my much beloved children' and signed 'drink, debt, dirt and the devil I HATE, Robert Kay'.

Walls; Roland (1954-2019); Mr
GB0192-773 · Personne · 1954-2019

Roland Walls was born into a North Yorkshire farming family and, after graduating from Cambridge University, pursued a career as a librarian. He spent a large part of his career at York City Library (now York Explore Library) before becoming a senior regional manager for North Yorkshire Libraries in Northallerton. He was committed to supporting his local community, and championing traditional music and cultures.

In the 1980s, Walls became the sole organiser of the recently-formed Black Swan Folk Club. Whilst he was neither a musician nor a performer, he was dedicated to the running of the Folk Club, and won the BBC Folk Club of the Year award in 2009. The club also won Best Small Venue in the Yorkshire Gig Guide in 2016. From 2001 he also arranged folk concerts at the National Centre for Early Music, in Walmgate, in tandem with the NCEM.

After a cancer diagnosis in 2010, Walls was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease in 2018. Nevertheless he organised the annual City of York Weekend at the Black Swan, where 45 acts performed over three days. That same year, he received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Yorkshire Gig Guide.

Roland Walls died from Motor Neurone Disease in June 2019.
Black Swan Folk Club; York Public Library

Black Swan Folk Club
GB0192-774 · Collectivité · 1979-present

The Black Swan Folk Club was formed in September 1979. It meetings at 8.15pm every Thursday night at the Black Swan pub, Peaseholme Green, York, and offers a range of resident musicians and perfomers, formal concerts and guest singers. From the 1980s until 2019 the club was run by Roland Walls. Since 2001 the club has also held larger concerts of bigger name performers in the National Centre for Early Music, Walmgate, and the Crescent Club.

In 2020 the club posted weekly 'Virtual' sessions on YouTube during the coronavirus lockdown.
Walls; Roland (1954-2019)

Beadnell; Harriett (?-present)
GB0192-776 · Personne · ?-present

Harriett was a PhD candidate at University of York between 2017 and 2020. As part of her PhD research, she carried out face to face interviews with a number of Second World War veterans.

White; William (1744-1790); Dr
GB0192-777 · Personne · 1744-1790

William White was born on 10 June 1744 in Castlegate, son of Timothy White, linen draper, and Marta his wife, both Quakers. Although no records have been found, it is possible he started his training with the Quaker apothecary Benjamin Bartlett, Jnr. in London. As a non-conformist he would not have been eligible to attend Oxford or Cambridge universities but many English doctors at that time travelled to Scottish universities for medical training.

In 1765-6 White attended Edinburgh where he joined the Medical Society of Edinburgh and matriculated in 1766. From at least 1768 he was back in York, once again living in Castlegate, and working at the County Hospital. When he registered as a freeman of the City of York in 1771 he did so as the son of a York freeman and an apothecary. To complete his training he attended the University of Leiden in 1775 graduating Medicinae Doctor with a thesis on ‘recurrent fever’. On returning to York he resumed work with the County Hospital and then the York Dispensary. White’s approach to medicine was also scientific as he carried out experiments and ‘observations’ that were published as books, in privately printed articles and in medical and scientific journals. Two of his articles were published in the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society. He died aged 45 on 28th October 1790 from consumption, one of the diseases he had been researching. His observations on this topic were published posthumously in 1792 by his friend and colleague Dr Alexander Hunter.

Of particular interest to York local researchers is White’s ‘Analecta Eboracensia’ or Memorandum Book’ (WHI/1). The greater part (21 pages) covers the period 26 January 1782 to 21 September 1785 with follow up items by his Quaker friend, the printer William Alexander. The 50 entries by White focus on improvements to the city streets and buildings, local, regional and national political events and the weather, including York’s perennial problem of flooding. Most interesting and useful to local historians are the depictions of streets – Castlegate, Castlegate Postern Lane, Coppergate, Fishergate, approach to Fishergate, ‘Road to Fulford’, High Ousegate, Hosier Lane, Low Ousegate, Nessgate, Ousebridge, Pavement and Spurriergate. What is exceptional is that they delineate individual buildings with the names of their occupiers or owners. The plans in the Memorandum Book are somewhat roughly drawn but a ruler-drawn or ‘neat’ copy also survives (WHI/2). Photographs of these neat copy maps can be found in PHO/2/111 and PHO/3/1835. There is no indication who drew the neater version.
For further detail see: ‘Dr William White (1744 - 1790) of Castlegate, ‘a Physician of considerable talent’. Sylvia D. Hogarth. York Historian 2007, vol.24, pages 19-36.

Hughes; David (c.1919-2020); Mr
GB0192-778 · Personne · c.1919-2020

David Hughes was born in North Berwick, East Lothian, the son of Mary and John Hughes. His father was an Anglican clergyman who became a Quaker after his experiences as a chaplain in the First World War. David and his siblings, Michael and Barbara, went to Quaker schools in York, where the family lived. They spent two years in America in the 1930s, when John was appointed director of the Quaker study centre Pendle Hill, in Pennsylvania – a formative experience for David.

He read geography at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, but his studies were interrupted by the Second World War and he was awarded a 'war degree' after two years. As conscientious objectors, David and Michael both faced military tribunals, but neither was jailed. David took the alternative of joining the Friends Relief Service, delivering relief to war-affected citizens. He spent six years with the FRS, in London and also in Holland, where he drove ambulances and lorries, and in Germany working in refugee camps.

In 1938 he volunteered at Dovercourt camp, Harwich, which took in, and found homes for, Jewish children fleeing the Nazis via the Kindertransport evacuation. David persuaded his parents to take in a young brother and sister. (His mother was already active in refugee work in York.) The boy, Harry Baum, later became very successful in the travel industry. All his life David kept on his key ring a small brass disc with his name and Dovercourt room number on it. He gave public talks about these experiences, into his 90s, and was interviewed by members of the Holocaust Education Trust.

While teaching at Ottershaw School, Surrey, the UK's first state boarding school for boys, David met Betty Wilson, who had come from Northern Ireland to work as a cook at the school. They married in Antrim in 1951, and daughter Lotte was born a year later. The family emigrated in 1952 as 'Ten Pound Poms' to Australia, where my father taught at a Quaker school in Hobart. My parents did not much like Tasmania, however, and returned after two years. The best part of the adventure was sailing round the world and visiting exotic lands.

The family settled in Shropshire, where David began teaching at Wellington Boys' Grammar School. His daughter Tanya was born in 1956. David retired in 1979 and he and Betty later moved to Church Stretton, where they were active in the local United Nations Association and the Liberal Democrats.

Sadly, Betty's dementia and move to a care home later forced them to live separately. David moved to Bishop's Castle at the age of 94 and enjoyed an unexpected new lease of life. In his 90s he published an anthology, The Seven Ages of William Shakespeare (2010), and a book in 2016 on the moral teachings of Jesus.

Betty died in 2019, and David died on 3 December 2020, aged 101. He is survived by his two daughters
Mary Hughes, mother.

Common Council / The "48"or "72"
GB0192-78 · Collectivité · Pre 1517-1835

The "48" were the most junior tier of representation and emerged in the 14th century from the craft gilds. A common council was instituted in 1518, made up of two members from each of thirteen crafts. This was then expanded in 1633 and switched to geographical representation, with 72 members elected from the four wards. In 1663, outside elections ceased, and vacancies were filled by nomination.
See also Aldermen / The "12" and Councillors / "The 24"

Aldermen / The "12" (Unreformed)
GB0192-80 · Collectivité · Pre 1399-1835

The inner circle of twelve became known as aldermen by 1399. They were elected for life until the corporation was reformed in 1835..

Aldermen / The "12" (Reformed)
GB0192-81 · Collectivité · 1835-1974

Following the Municipal Reform Act, aldermen continued to be at the heart of local government in York, but their status was changed. The number remained the same at twelve, one third of the total body of councillors, but appointments were for 6 years only, rather than life. They were selected by the council, not the electorate (including the outgoing aldermen, until this was ended by national legislation in 1910).

Councillors / The "24"(Unreformed)
GB0192-82 · Collectivité · ????-1835

The councillors or "24" were drawn from the common council or "48 / 72" and had often previously served as a civic official such as sheriff. Along with the aldermen they formed the upper tier of the Corporation. They were elected geographically by wards, only freemen could vote.

Councillors (Reformed)
GB0192-83 · Collectivité · 1835-present

Created in 1835 as fixed-term elected representatives, they formed the core of the reformed Corporation. They are elected based on geographical wards. In 1925 the number of wards increased from 6 to 12.

York City Council
GB0192-84 · Collectivité · 1974-1996

In 1974 York lost its status as a county borough and became a district council within North Yorkshire County Council.
Previously known as "the Mayor and Commonality of the City of York", it deveoped into the historical Corporation (see City of York Corporation (Unreformed). The corporation was reformed in 1835, became a district council with North Yorkshire County Council in 1974 and a unitary authority once more as the City of York Council in 1996.

City of York Council
GB0192-85 · Collectivité · 1996-present

In 1996 York became a unitary authority once more as the City of York Council.
Previously known as "the Mayor and Commonality of the City of York", it developed into the historical Corporation (see City of York Corporation (Unreformed). The corporation was reformed in 1835, became a district council with North Yorkshire County Council in 1974 and a unitary authority once more as the City of York Council in 1996.

Distress Committee
GB0192-89 · Collectivité · 1905-1911

Formed to carry out the provisions of the the Unemployed Workers Act in 1905, the membership was comprised of members of the corporation and members of the Board of Guardians.

Housing Committee
GB0192-91 · Collectivité · 1920-1974

Originally formed as a special sub-committee to carry out new duties of the Health Committee under the 1919 Housing Acts. It gained wider responsibilites over the course of the twentieth century.
Originally sub-committee of Health Committee.

Public Assistance Committee
GB0192-92 · Collectivité · 1929-1948

Founded in 1929 under the Local Government Act 1929 administrative scheme for the county borough of York. It had 24 members, consisting of 16 members of the corporation and 8 non-members (of which a minimum of two had to be women). For a short period from 17 July 1947 until August 1948 it was renamed the Social Welfare Committee. The Public Assistance Committee effectively replaced the York Poor Law Union/Board of Guardians as the principal administrators of the Poor Law in the York City area. Areas of the York Poor Law Union that lay in the North, East or West Ridings became the responsibility of the Public Assistance Committee for their relevant county.
Inherited administration of poor relief in the York City area from the York Poor Law Union and Board of Guardians, which were abolished in 1930 by the Local Government Act 1929. Also carried out functions relating to unemployment previously carried out by the Distress Committee (1905-1911). It was replaced by the Welfare Committee (1948-1970).

Welfare Committee
GB0192-93 · Collectivité · 1948-1970

Established with the The National Assistance Act which formally abolished the Poor Law system and replaced it with a National Assistance Scheme. It covered those not covered by National Insurance Act 1946 including the physically disabled, homeless persons, the elderly and unmarried mothers.
Replaced the Public Assistance Committee, later the Social Welfare Committee (1929-1948), which itself had previously taken over functions from the Board of Guardians (1837-1930). Replaced by the Social Services Committee (1970-71) (with an overlap of two months).

Social Services Committee
GB0192-94 · Collectivité · 1970-1974

Required by the Local Authority Social Services Act 1970 , which also instigated a director of social services. A new social services department was also setup within the City of York Council with broad responsibility for social care.
Replaced the Welfare Committee (1948-1970) (with an overlap of two months). See also Director of Social Services.

Board of Guardians / Poor Law Unions
GB0192-95 · Collectivité · 1837-1948

Basis of the "New Poor Law". Previously, poor relief had been organised at the parish level. The New Poor Law grouped parishes into Poor Law Unions to better distribute the balance of poor rate payers and receivers within an area. In York, the system was not implemented until 1837. Board of Guardians were elected annually by property owners and rate-payers. The York Poor Law Union was founded with 32 urban and 48 rural parishes.
Not part of corporation but supported by a council officer: Clerk to the Guardians. Poor relief function transferred from Overseers of the Poor in 1837. Administration of institutions transferred to council Welfare Committee in 1948.

Overseers of the Poor
GB0192-97 · Collectivité · 1597-1925

The basis of the "Old Poor Law" system. Each parish was required to select two Overseers of the Poor each year to collect money from parishioners and distribute locally to those in need. York had previously established its own corporate weekly poor rate in the 1570s.
In York, distribution functions transferred to Board of Guardians in 1837. Rate-collecting functions transferred to council Rating and Valuation Committee in 1925.

York Charity Trustees
GB0192-99 · Collectivité · 1837-unknown

Instituted in 1837 as independent and non-partisan charitable trustees for the city's former municipal charities including many centuries-old private bequests or "gifts". In 1898, only 5 trustees were alive and political and religious views became involved in the appointment process. The Charity Commissioners raised the number to 18 to allow a balanced membership. In 1902 this was reduced back to 13, including for the first time 5 members of the corporation.
Municipal charities transferred from Lord Mayor and Corporation in 1837.

Tramways Committee
Collectivité · 1906-1911

Oversaw city tram service, which it took ownership of in 1909.
Gained function from City of York Tramways Company in 1909. Merged with Electrity Committee in 1911 to form Electricity and Tramways Committee.

Collectivité · 1907-Present

The NUJ was founded in 1907. In 1911 it became an Approved Society under the National Insurance Act which enabled it to provide unemployment pay, hardship benefits and legal aid. In 1926 it joined the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) along with twelve other nations. In 2006 membership numbers surpassed 40,000.

Archbishop Holgate's School
Collectivité · 1546-present

Archbishop Holgate's School was founded by Robert Holgate, Archbishop of York, in 1546, on a site between Ogleforth and the City Walls in the shadow of York Minster. The site was chosed as it was on land owned by Holgate himself.

In 1858 the school moved to a new site at Lord Mayors Walk, before moving to its current location on Hull Road in 1963.

Until 1985, Archbishop Holgate's was an all-boys' grammar school. With the reorganisation of education in York in 1985, the school changed its name to Archbishop Holgate's School, and became a co-educational comprehensive school. During this transition period the outdoor swimming pool was converted to an indoor pool, a new sports hall was built, and upgrades were made to music, design and technology, home economics and other facilities.

In 2009 a £4.3 million two-storey learning centre with landscaping, parking and bike storage, called the LearningCentre@AHS was built, and now serves as the home of the school's sixth form facilities.

On 1 April 2011, Archbishop Holgate's School officially gained academy status. The school built new two-storey English block which opened in late April 2014. The school development is for expansion due to a larger intake of students because of the closure of Burnholme community college and new housing estates.

The school's ethos is the idea that having a Christian foundation at the centre of all it does give the school an extra dimension, an additional facet, giving it a distinctiveness compared to most community schools. Church status does not provide a context for evangelising; those committed to Christianity will, on the other hand, often find many ways in which their faith can find expression through the corporate values of the school.

J.W. Ruddock & Sons
Collectivité · c1881-1967

Although the firm of J.W. Ruddock's tailors was established c1881, members of the Ruddock family were tailors in York from at least 1851.
John Ruddock was born in c1823 and had four sons: George (b. c1844), John William (1) (b. c1852), Tom (b. c1855) and James (b. c1859).
John William Ruddock also had four sons - George Ruddock (b. c1882), John W. Ruddock (2) (b. c1883), Harold W. Ruddock (b. c1887), and Henry Ernest Ruddock (b. c1893).

R.W. Anderson & Son
Collectivité · 1855-c.1975

There were three generations of Robert Andersons who worked as tailors in York.
Robert William Anderson (1) was born in 1803. His son Robert Anderson (2) was born in 1839. His son, Robert Walter Anderson (3), was born in 1869. He also had a son named Robert W. Anderson (4) who was 15 in 1911.

Conservative Association, York
Collectivité · 1832-Present

Conservative Associations were formed after the 1832 Reform Act by members of the Conservative Party.

The York Central Conservative Club was founded in 1881 in order to consolidate the party after the defeat of The Right Hon James Lowther at the General Election in 1880 who had represented the city in Parliament since 1865. For many years the club met at the Ebor Rooms, Coney Street. However, this became too cramped due to social requirements of numbers and in 1909, moved to the De Grey Rooms, St Leonard's Street where they added an extension onto the rear of the building in 1910. The club had over 500 members in 1933 and the De Grey Rooms were more appropriate due to the size.

The club moved again from De Grey Rooms to Museum Street in March 1986 until their closure in 1991. The club finally closed in 1991 after a period of financial difficulty and the archives were subsequently transferred in 1994.

There were also four ward Conservative clubs in the city. These clubs, along with the Central Conservative Club formed a valuable asset in party politics. In 1969, the club abolished the 'male only' member policy and allowed females to become members 80 years after the club's foundation. The club also actively took part in international snooker tournaments.

Hepper & Watson
Collectivité · 1974-present

Hepper & Watson Estate Agents was founded in 1974, following the amalgamation of Hepper & Sons and Watson & Sons. The origins of both companies date back to the 19th century. The company changed emphasis from being an estate agency to asset management. The company continues to trade today under the rebranded Watsons name.

York Philharmonic Male Voice Choir
Collectivité · 1925 - Present

The York Philharmonic Male Voice Choir was founded in York in 1925, by a group of men from the Leeman Road Adult Boy’s Club. They came together out of a love of singing, rehearsing in the front parlour of a house on Leeman Road. The founding members sought the direction of conductor Cecil H. Fletcher, and over the next ten years Fletcher oversaw the growth of the choir to over fifty members.

The choir experienced a severe decline in membership as a result of the World Wars, followed by the death of conductor Fletcher. The choir survived this period, becoming informally known as the Cecil H Fletcher Memorial Choir into the 1980s.

Sefton Fearne took over as conductor, and worked to rebuild the choir following the drop in membership. In 1950 Fearne retired due to ill health and was succeeded by Archie W. Sargent.

Sargent retired in 1962 and was succeeded by Richard B. Lister. In 1962; with Robert Patterson, then curator at York Castle Museum; Lister helped initiate the first the ‘Carols in Kirkgate’ concert, which raised money for the Lord Mayor’s Christmas Cheer Fund. The York Philharmonic Male Voice Choir performed at the first ‘Carols in Kirkgate’ event, which continued for over fifty years.

In 1968 the choir formed a relationship with Münsterscher Männergesangverein (Münster Male Choral Society), a choir from York’s twin city Münster, in Germany. The choirs have done multiple visits to each other’s respective cities.

In 1972 the choir became a registered charity, to help improve public knowledge of the choir, and to help the choir to support other charities through their performances.

Richard B. Lister stepped down as Musical Director in 1980, at which point David Keeffe took over the role. Subsequent Music Directors also include Richard Bowman, Margaret Martin, Ian Colling and Berenice ‘Berry’ Lewis.

As well as performances and charity concerts, the choir have historically competed in competitions across Britain and Europe.

Price; Millicent (1881-1975); Mrs
Personne · 1881-1975

Millicent Price's grandfather was Henry Wilberforce, a gentleman farmer in the locality, thought to be related to the famous William Wilberforce. Her mother was Ellen Phyllis Browne, married to Walter Browne, a struggling actor/playwright. They lived in London, where Millicent was born (probably in the early 1880s). Her mother left her father (they were later divorced) when Millicent was 3 years old and returned to her native city of York.

Millicent lived with her mother and 2 sisters, Edith and Ella at 34, Lawrence Street, a 3 storey house opposite the Poor Clares Convent until 1895 when they moved to "River View" overlooking the Ouse next to St. Mary's Abbey.

Millicent attended Castlegate College, Clare College, Micklegate and Priory Street Higher Grade School before going to Swansea Training College (Wales) to train to be a teacher. Following this she lived in Leeds for a time teaching at Beeston School and then at Park Lane School before returning to York in 1904 where she taught at the "newly built" Scarcroft School.

1972-1989

The St Leonard's Original Walkers was a rambling group founded and run by staff of the City of York Council Engineer's Department, also described as the City Planning Department and later the City Architect's Department.

The group was founded by four members of staff who, after completing the Lyke Wake Walk, wished to continue a walking club. The group was formed in 1972, with their first event being to participate in the White Rose Walk. After this event, regular walks took place roughly once a month.

City of York Council. Cabinet
Collectivité · May 2011-present

Formerly known as the Executive. Comprised of Cabinet Members, each with their own porfolio area, from the largest political group. Chaired by the Leader of the Council.
Between 2011-2013 the Cabinet Member portfolios were as follows:
Leader; City Strategy; Corporate Services; Health, Housing and Adult Social Services; Leisure, Culture and Social Inclusion; Communities and Neighbourhood Services; Education, Children and Young People's Services; Crime and Community Safety.

In August 2013 Communities and Neighbourhoods Services was replaced by Environmental Services; Corporate Services became Finance, Performance and Customer Service; City Strategy became Transport, Planning and Sustainability. Crime and Community Safety was renamed Crime and Stronger Communities; Leisure, Culture and Social Inclusion was renamed Leisure, Culture and Tourism. The other portfolios remained unchanged.
Formerly known as the Executive. Reported into Full Council. Each Cabinet Member has a duty to advise on their own portfolio area.

Robert Dent & Son
Collectivité · 1872-c1975

Robert Dent was born in 1843, the son of William Dent, a saddler, and his wife Elizabeth.
He married Elizabeth Patchett in 1866. They had five daughters - Annie (b. 1869), Margaret (b. 1871), Louisa (b.1879), Edith (b.1880) and Catherine (b. 1884) - and two sons - William (b 1867) and Charles (b. 1874). He died in 1931.

Collectivité · 1859-1863

The York Society for the Prevention of Youthful Depravity was established with the aim of combating the increase of debauchery and immorality among the young females of the city.